Feb 27, 2011

Picasso & the Little Mermaid

I finally made it to the Little Mermaid! On Saturday it was a little warmer and the sun was out, so I thought it would be a good day to make the trek. It turned out to be so frigid that by the time we made it to the statue my eyes were watering from the wind. Haha I probably looked like a crazed tourist. Anyways, after taking pictures as fast as we possibly could, we headed back.

Den lille havfrue




I was talking to my host parents about the Little Mermaid and found out that its been subject to a lot of vandalism. The poor thing has been painted on multiple times, blasted off her rock, had an arm sawed off, and had her head cut off. Twice. Kind of ridiculous right?

Picasso Peace & Freedom

Today I went to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Humlebaek. Sometimes modern art museums can be too much, but this one was really cool. I saw art by Asger Jorn, Walton Ford, Warhol, Pollock, and Picasso-which was definitely my favorite. I learned a lot of interesting things about Picasso that I didn't know before. Here are some Picasso quotes I liked:
"The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?"
"Abstract art is only painting. And what's so dramatic about that? There is no abstract art. One must always begin with something. Afterwards one can remove all semblance of reality" 
"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child." 

 
The Charnel House. 1944-45

Dove with olive branch

Walton Ford


Art is tiring, I'm going to take nap. Hope you had a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment