Jan 30, 2011

Loppen & Loppemarked

Last night I saw Sleigh Bells at the Loppen in Christiania. If we hadn't asked people for directions, there was literally no way we would've found the place. Christiania is not well-lit at night and we didn't see a sign on the venue. Basically we noticed a bunch of people standing around outside a building and asked a woman if it was the right place.

The Loppen is a really cool venue. It's small and "hygge." Hygge (pronounced hoo-guh) is this idea of coziness which is really important to the Danes. Sleigh Bells were fun, but they only played for about 30 minutes. I couldn't believe it! I understand that they don't have many songs, but really? The opening band was this crazy screaming chick named The Echo Vamper. Overall it was a good time, and I hope to go back there before the end of the semester.

hygge

 me & Sam

Our awesome view

Today I went to a Loppenmarked (flea market) and let me tell you, Danish flea markets are the place to go. After the disappointment of my previous thrifting attempts, I had pretty low expectations for the Ballerup Loppenmarked. It turned out to be great though! Loppen, by the way, means "flea," which is ironic because the music venue I went to last night translates to "The Flea" in English. Anyways, I found this great old pocket watch and a cute scarf I'm using for decoration. I bought the pocket watch for 50 kroner (about $10), but I've been looking for one for awhile now, so I was so happy to find one!


taxidermy animals!

lots of booths

my pocket watch

pocket watch + newly thrifted belt

And just in case you were curious, here's a picture of my room. I love the slanted ceiling.

 View from my window

No comments:

Post a Comment