Jan 24, 2011

Kronborg & Sweden

I went to Sweden on Sunday! Yes thats right, Sweden. You don't get to say that everyday :)

The DIS trips to Kronborg filled up pretty fast so my host parents and I decided to take a trip to Helsingør on our own. Kronborg Castle is this huge place on the coast of Denmark that is the setting of Shakespeare's Hamlet. It's a pretty impressive place.

Inside the courtyard



Me in the courtyard

King Frederick II's initials

Kronborg from across the moat

 "Anno" means year but when I saw this I immediately thought of my sister Annie

The ballroom

Lotte

The charming town of Helsingør

After the tour we took a ferry across the Sound to Helsingborg, Sweden. This was definitely the best part. We climbed up some steps leading to a medieval tower which is the last remaining part of an old Danish fortress. This part of Sweden actually belonged to the Danes back in the 1600s. After taking the "I'm in Sweden!" picture we headed to a cafe for some coffee and pastries. Overall it was an awesome end to the weekend.

On the ferry

Sweden!


the "I'm in Sweden" picture

Helsingborg Harbor

Today I had some time to kill before my Danish class and decided to check out a vintage store nearby DIS. Turns out vintage is extremely overpriced in Copenhagen! Most of the dresses were 500 kroner or more, which is roughly $100. Yikes. Sounds like I'll have to hunt to find a decent thrift or vintage store.

Tomorrow night I'm going to dinner at a place in Østerbro for my Danish class. I heard that dinner is on DIS so keep your fingers crossed :) Theres also a Medical Practice & Policy social event on Wednesday at this vegetarian restaurant called the RizRaz. My friend that studied in Copenhagen through DIS last year recommended it to me, so I'm excited to try it out!

1 comment: