Apr 24, 2011

Espana & Italia

Hey I'm back! My mom and my sister just left today, after coming to Copenhagen and then taking a trip to Amsterdam and back. It was so nice to see them! (Thank you so much for coming!!) Made me miss home. One of my main goals for this semester was to travel, so after traveling nonstop for two weeks and accomplishing what I really wanted to do, I could've easily skipping finals and just hopped on the plane back with them :)

Anyways, the trip to Spain and Italy was amazing. My friend Sam was so easy to travel with and everything was so pretty. In Barcelona I loved the weather & architecture, and seeing my friend Pria was really nice too. Even though they speak Catalan in Barcelona, I still was able to use my spanish which was cool. It was the first time I've actually used it in a real setting after how many years of spanish classes? So much for practicality.

The city of Venice itself was pretty unbelievable. It amazes me that its still standing. Besides all the cool buildings and canals, the city was, in a way, overrun with tourists. Venice doesn't have much industry so I think their economy is completely dependent on tourism, which is kind of sad. But we still had a good time and were able to experience a different type of city-one that operates on water completely.

In Florence, the views were amazing! It was that Tuscan countryside that you always imagined...or if you've seen the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" you know what I'm talking about. (ahaha you don't have to admit it) Anyways Florence was wonderful and we stayed in such a nice hostel, it was more like a bed and breakfast. Rome, on the other hand, was crazy. There was so much stuff to see but we were pretty tired by the end and just took it easy. Not to mention we got lost every 5 minutes. The first day, it literally took us 1.5 hours to find the Colosseum even though it was only a 15 minute walk from the hostel. Ah oh well. Sam and I kept making Lizzie Mcquire movie references the whole time too, which was hilarious. (Okay don't judge my movie taste from this post!) We definitely had the most fun going out in Rome. We bumped into more DIS students (second time we stayed in the same hostel as one) and met some really cool people, including an awesome kiwi (not to be confused with the fruit).

I took so many pictures, so I'll try my best to cut it down to the essentials!

BARCELONA
 Las Ramblas

 La Boqueria Market

the beach :)

 Arc de Triumf

Gaudi Building

La Sagrada familia

VENICE



Piazza San Marco


public transportation




 FLORENCE
 view from Piazza Michelangelo


I want to live here

Boboli (aka booby) gardens

Il Duomo


ROME
sulky shot necessary after 1.5 goose hunt to find it. haha but we made it!



Rome at night :)

inside the Vatican

meeting Paolo at the Trevi Fountain, what else? (or should I say why not?)

Colosseum again

Annie and Mom, you deserve your own post so pictures of your visit are to come! Also I've been collecting vintage postcards of the places I've been so I want to post those later too. And congratulations if you made it this far! Gold star. I reward you with this lovely song. Can't get enough of it.


Mmk signing out,
kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment